Explore the Higher Education Financing, HEF Portal via portal.hef.co.ke and learn how to apply for student loan under the new funding model. Check out their eligibility criteria, requirements, document, and how to access the HEF online application form.
Table of Contents
About Higher Education Financing (HEF)
The Higher Education Financing (HEF) is a new funding model introduced by the Government of Kenya to provide loans and bursaries to students from extremely needy and vulnerable backgrounds.
This will be apportioned to students based on their assessed level of need. The universities and TVET will no longer receive funding through capitation. The funding to students shall combine scholarships, loans, and household contributions on a graduated scale as determined by Means Testing Instrument [MTI].
Universities Funding in Kenya was introduced to provide Undergraduate scholarships to Government Sponsored Students enrolled in Public Universities.
In addition, the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) provide Loans and Bursaries to students enrolled in TVET Colleges and Universities [Public and Private] in Kenya, and HELB subsequence loan to returning students.
Criteria for Eligibility
To qualify and apply for Higher Education Financing (HEF), applicants must be;
- Undergraduate students placed by KUCCPS in 2023/2024 in Public Universities
- TVET students placed by KUCCPS in 2023/2024 in Public TVET Colleges
The Kenya Universities and Colleges Placement Service (KUCCPS) is responsible for placing students in their desired courses based on their qualifications and application.
Requirements for HEF Application (UG & TVET)
The Government of Kenya (GoK) has released a checklist for Higher Education Financing (HEF) applications for scholarships and loan.
- A valid email address
- Valid telephone number (must be registered in your name to apply for a loan)
- KCPE and KCSE index numbers and year of examination
- Passport size photo
- Copy of your National ID (for loan application)
- College/University admission letter
- Your parents’ registered telephone number
- Your parents’ national ID number
- Death certificate if any of your parent is deceased
- Your birth certificate.
- Two guarantors’ (Can be your parents) ID numbers and registered telephone numbers (for loan application)
- Copy of the sponsorship letter if you were sponsored in Secondary school.
How to Access HEF Portal
Follow this step to access and login to the Higher Education Financing (HEF) Portal.
How to Apply for Higher Education Financing – HEF Loan
Follow these comprehensive step-by-step guides to complete an online Higher Education Financing loan application form.
- Access HEF Loan Portal
- Sign up to register an account with HEF
- Enter your Login Credentials
- Tap on the Login button
Kenya Universities Fund Contact Details
Hazina Trade Centre, 5th Floor, Monrovia Street.
P.O BOX 28237-00100, Nairobi Kenya
Tel: +254 207903331 / +254 746737935
Email: [email protected]