Learn how to apply for the Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) by submitting a bursary application form online. Read the guidelines and instructions hereunder before you complete the application form. You must complete the entire application form. An incomplete application form will be disqualified.
Table of Contents
About MQA Bursary
The Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) is a Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA) for the Mining and Minerals Sector in terms of the Skills Development Act No. 97 of 1998.
The MQA would like to invite learners who are presently in grade 12 or already studying at a public university, university of technology, or a TVET college to apply for an MQA bursary for the 2024 academic year of study.
The bursary will cover tuition fees and allowances for accommodation, books, and meals.
NB: The bursary is ONLY available to South African citizens.
The MQA bursary scheme focuses on funding the following qualifications at universities, universities of technology, and TVET Colleges as indicated below.
However, the MQA may allocate 20% of the total bursary allocations for the 2024 academic year for qualifications that are not listed below, which the MQA may deem as qualifications necessary for the mining and minerals sector.
MQA Programmes Funded at Universities
Qualifications funded at universities and universities of technology:
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Jewellery Design and Manufacturing
- Mining Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mine Survey
- Electrical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Environmental Health and Management
- Analytical Chemistry
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Occupational Hygiene
- Occupational Medicine
- Operations Management
- Quality Management
MQA Programmes Funded at TVET Colleges
Qualifications funded at TVET colleges:
- Motor Mechanic (Diesel)
- Fitting (including Machinery)
- Instrumentation Mechanic
- Fitter and Turner
- Rigger Ropes Man
Preference will be given to the following aspects in the selection of candidates:
- Historically Disadvantaged Individuals (HDI) applicants.
- Financially needy applicants with a combined household income of not more than R600 000 per annum. The household income will be verified by MQA, and misrepresentation of the household income will disqualify the application.
- Female applicants.
- Applicants living in rural communities.
- Applicants who have applied to study at their local tertiary institutions.
- Candidates with a strong academic record.
How to Apply for MQA Bursary
To qualify for the bursary, the applicant must be unemployed at the time of the application and must remain unemployed for the duration of his/her studies.
- Download the Application Form for Unemployed Learners
- The completed application form and supporting documents must be submitted to [email protected]
Only applications received at the above e-mail address will be considered.
Late applications will not be considered.
MQA Bursary Application Form PDF
- The Applications Form is an electronic FILLABLE PDF FORMAT with drop-down menus where applicable.
- You must click on the appropriate selection button and/or type in the information where such information is required.
- The Application Form is set up in such a way that the MQA is able to retrieve your information directly from the form. DO NOT change the format of the form to a normal PDF or Word format.
- After completing the application form, you must save the form under your full name and surname, then email supporting documents to the e-mail address hereunder.
- You must type in your full name surname and ID Number in the subject line of the e-mail.
- Do not complete the form by hand.
You must ONLY provide the following documents hereunder:
- Certified copy of your Identity Document.
- Certified copy of your Grade 12 Certificate (All applicants).
- Grade 12 results (if you are in high school).
- Acceptance Letter from University – where applicable: (if you are in high school).
- Full Academic Record (if you are at University or TVET College).
- ID Document of Parents/Guardian
- Proof of house Income: Payslips of father/mother/Guardian Or proof of SASA payment for Parent/Guardian, where applicable, Or Affidavit when Parent/guardian is unemployed, Or Death Certificate of Parent/Guardian– where applicable. The MQA will verify proof of family income and guardianship.
- An affidavit from the Parent when your other parent has passed away or is absent.
Please name your supporting documents appropriately. Do not send supporting documents as ZIP files.
Do not send your CV.
Email of application form and supporting documents
- E-mail your application form and supporting documents ONLY to: [email protected].
- Application forms sent to any other e-mail address at the MQA will not be considered.
- Only e-mailed application forms will be considered.
- Do not send Application forms by links such as Google Drive, OneDrive Adobe Cloud or ZIP files.
NB: Late and incomplete application forms will be disqualified