Access the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill – UNC Heelmail and login with your credentials. After you’re admitted, you’ll want to set up your UNC username and email address. This is where we’ll be sharing important updates from the Admissions office and details about your financial aid package.
Explore UNC Sakai Portal
Set Up Your UNC Heelmail Username
The first step to accessing your email account is to set up your username – as we call it, your ONYEN (Only Name You’ll Ever Need).
- Visit onyen.unc.edu
- Tap on “Create or Reactivate ONYEN”
- Review and agree to the terms.
- You’ll be asked if you have a Guest ID. Click “no”
- Enter your contact details and UNC PID (Personal I.D.). Find your PID on your MyCarolina status page or look it up here.
- After entering this information, you’ll receive your ONYEN.
Protect Your Username (ONYEN) and UNC Information with Duo
Be sure to set up Duo, a tool that helps us confirm your identity through your mobile phone or landline. This will also allow us to authenticate you if you need to recover your ONYEN password.
- Visit onyen.unc.edu
- Tap on the 2-Step Verification for Duo.
- Tap on the Login button.
- Enter your UNC Personal Identification Number (PID), date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number (SSN).
If you don’t have an SSN, you’ll be asked additional questions as part of your Duo setup.
How to Set Up Your UNC Heelmail
Follow this simple steps to get started:
- Explore selfservice.unc.edu
- Enter your ONYEN and Password
- Tap on “Email Sign-Up” on the left-hand menu to set up your UNC email account, create an easy-to-remember alias, or change your password.
- Check your email here You can also connect your UNC email to your iphone.
How to Login UNC Heelmail
Follow this simple step-by-step guide to access and login into the University of North Carolina Student Heelmail.
- Access Office 365 at UNC
- Enter your Heelmail Sign-in credentials (ID format: [email protected])
- Tap Next to login to the Heelmail dashboard
How to Set Up UNC Heelmail on Your iPhone (iOS)
Here is how to configure your Heelmail iOS device (iPhone) for your Office 365 account, using the mail app.
To configure your iOS device for your Office 365 account, let’s get started
- Go to Settings on your device
- Scroll down and select Passwords & Accounts
- Navigate to Add Account and select Microsoft Exchange
- Input your student email address (ID format: [email protected])
- Tap on the Next button
- Select Sign in
- Login with your Onyen Password
- 2-Step for Office 365 (MFA) will be triggered with the default action you have chosen
- If you’re sure, Tap Continue
NB: Change any sync settings and then click Save. Clicking Save is crucial, otherwise, the account is not going to be added.