The Ghana Education Service (GES) and the Free Senior High School Secretariat in partnership with SHS/SHTS and TVET under the auspices of the Ministry of Education (MoE) have released a video, and Computerized School Selection and Placement (CSSPS) guidelines for Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) candidates, parents/guardians and the public.
Schedules for School Selection and Placement for 2022 BECE Candidates
Check the important month, date and time for this year’s Computerized School Selection and Placement (CSSPS) schedules for Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) candidates, parents/guardians and the public.
Monday, October 24, 2022 – Saturday, October 29, 2022
- School selection videos for BECE Candidates will be played on various radio and Television (TV) networks across the country.
- The Video, Jingles, Infographics, CSSPS guidelines, and School (SHS) selection register list PDF can also be accessed here or at freeshs.net
- Public Education from GES, Free SHS Secretariat, TVET and MoE across the country.
Monday, October 31, 2022 – Friday, November 18, 2022
- Senior High School (SHS), Senior High Technical School (SHTS), and Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) by BECE candidates, parents/guardians for placement.
January – February
- Verification and Confirmation of selected schools, courses, residential status, and gender by using this shortcode or via the CSSPS Verify Portal.
March – April
- GES and Free SHS will release placement. See how to check SHS placement.
- Self-Placement. follow this guideline.
What is SHS/TVET/SHTS School Register?
Second Cycle Institutions in Ghana have been put into 4 categories. Namely, categories A, B C & D SHS. Each of these categories has several schools listed under them. These could be Senior High Schools (SHS) Senior High Technical Schools (SHTS) or Technical Institutes (TVET) across the country.
SHS School Selection Guidelines for BECE Candidates
As part of measures to ensure a smooth placement of qualified BECE, the Ghana Education Service (GES) and the Ghana TVET Service (GTVETS) have put in place the following arrangements for the information of parents/guardians/candidates and the general public
Cluster of Schools
Introduction of a cluster of schools: These are similar schools that belong to the same category which candidates may comfortably accept as alternative schools to their initial choices.
A Candidate who opts for a cluster and is displaced may have the opportunity of being considered in any of the schools within the cluster. For instance, if candidate Yaw selected Ghana National College as his 2nd choice, the candidate will be considered for similar schools in the cluster of Ghana National College for available space.
Grouping of Schools in Ghana
All second-cycle institutions have been grouped as follows:
- Public second Cycle Institution: Four (4) groups namely Categories A, B, C and D.
- Appendix 1: contains detailed technical institutions (TI) programmes
- Appendix 2: contains detailed subjects of the Technical Programmes in the Sec/Tech. institutions
- Appendix 4: contains Special Boarding schools for the sixth (6th) Choice)
- Appendix 4: Cluster of schools
- Appendix 5: contains a list of Special Education Needs (SEN) schools
- Sample Choice: Examples of correct and wrong choices
- Before the Selection of Schools and Programmes
Before the Selection of Schools and Programmes are offered, parents/guardians are advised to note that all schools selected (1st- 6th) are considered in the placement of candidates.
- Conditions for selection of schools Candidates with guidance from parents/guardians and school authorities;
- Must choose Six (6) schools (1st – 6th choices) in all.
- Must select programmes and accommodations for each selected school.
- Must choose a compulsory day as 6th choice (Catchment Area School) or choose boarding school from the list of schools in Appendix 3
- Must indicate ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to accept or decline to opt for a cluster.
- Candidates who wish to offer purely TVET Programmes must select all six (6) TVETS schools from CATEGORY A, B and C as Day or Boarding
- Cannot choose more than one (1) School from Category A
- Cannot select more than two (2) schools from Category B
- May select five (5) choices from Category C and One (1) from Category D (Day) or Appendix 3 (Special Boarding).