The Ministry of Communications and Digitalisation have launch the National SIM Card Registration with the National Identification Authority (Ghana Card) Exercise across the country next month.
At what Age should you Register for SIM Card
The minimum age for SIM registration has been set at 15 years, taking into consideration the increased use of communications services since the onset of the COVID 19 pandemic and to facilitate E-education.
Why SIM Registration with Ghana Card?
- SIM registration, when undertaken correctly as we intend to do, will reduce or eliminate fraudulent and criminal activities
- To help authorities ascertain the accurate number of valid and accurate SIMs on the networks.
- This will enable operators to build better demographics of their customer base.
- Help develop products and services to suit the various groupings.
The Regulator, NCA, will also get more accurate data to regulate the industry even better.
Requirement for SIM Registration
Only the National Identity Card (Ghana Card) issued to an individual shall be used for registration of SIM cards of Citizens, Foreign Residents, and Foreigners staying in Ghana for more than 90 days.
In the case of foreigners staying in Ghana for less than 90 days, a valid passport or other travel document is required.
How to Register SIM card with Ghana Card
- Login SIM Card Registration Portal
- Existing subscribers will register their SIMs via USSD (shortcode)
- Download the SIM registration App
- Kindly follow the steps to link your SIM with the Ghana Card
- The government will be implementing handset and equipment registration alongside the SIM registration and set up the CEIR as stated in Executive Instrument 63.
- The Central Equipment Identity Register connects to MNOs’ systems in a non-intrusive manner to aggregate all IMEIs coming from all the local operators in a single national IMEI database.
Number of Sim Card One can Register
Individuals can register a total number of 10 SIM Cards across all networks and Foreigners will have a limit of 3 SIM Cards across all networks. No one should think that they can hide behind Businesses and register as many SIM Cards as they want.
All SIM Cards registered to a Business will be linked to a Shareholder or Director of the Business and if found to have been engaged in fraudulent activity, the Shareholder or Director will be held liable.
Date and schedules
Barring any unforeseen eventualities, SIM Registration will begin on 1st October 2021 for a six (6) month period and end on 31st March 2022.
NB: Any sim which is not registered at the end of this exercise will be blocked.