Table of Contents
Register to merge or link your SSNIT and NIA Ghana Card numbers
In Ghana, all Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) contributors will replace their unique scheme identification numbers with the NIA Ghana Card identification numbers.
The process of merging the two identification numbers will continue until December 31, this year.
This means that from January 1, next year, SSNIT contributors will no longer use their scheme numbers but will transact all business with SSNIT with their Ghana Card. Therefore, a member who fails to complete the merger process by December 2021 will not be able to access SSNIT services.
Why merge SSNIT and NIA Ghana card numbers?
The merger is expected to improve the ease of doing business, as it will create the convenience of using only one card for all transactions.
The merger is in compliance with Regulation 7 (1) of the National Identity Register Regulations, 2012, LI 2111, and a directive from the National Pensions Regulatory Authority (NPRA).
The regulation, among other things, requires the use of the Ghana Card as a means of identification for “transactions pertaining to individuals in respect of pensions”.
A similar merger is being done by the National Health Insurance Scheme and Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) to enable Ghanaian to use their Ghana Card numbers as TIN and NHIS number. the merger done on their phones by dialing this short code, technically known as Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD), on a mobile phone.
The benefits of merging your SSNIT and NIA numbers
- You only have to carry your Ghana Card for all transactions
- Easy identification of nominated dependants
- You save money because you don’t need to pay for SSNIT card
- It’s a legal requirement
4 relevant documents you need to merge your SSNIT and NIA numbers
- NIA number (personal ID number)
- SSNIT number
- Valid email address
- Mobile phone number
How to Register and merge your SSNIT and NIA numbers
Note that Members, contributors, employers, stakeholders and the general public will be duly sensitized on the options available before the entire SSNIT/NIA merger process begins. If you are a virtual learner you can check the pictorial presentation here
Using the USSD (Short-code)
Merge your SSNIT and NIA Numbers using your Mobile Phone
- Dial the short code *711*9#
- Select Option 1 (merge NIA number with SSNIT number)
- Enter your SSNIT number and press send
- Enter your email address ( if the phone number you provided to SSNIT is different from the one you are using)
- Enter the NIA number (personal ID number on your Ghana Card)
- Select option 1 to complete the merger process
Congratulations!!! (you will receive a notification after the merger)
Using the web
Merge your SSNIT and NIA numbers using your PC
- Visit the SSNIT Website
- Click on My Statement
- Fill in the required details
- Sign In Here>> (Click on Get Access if you don’t have an account or click on Forget Password? If you have forgotten your password)
- On the Statement page, Click Merge My NIA number
- Agree to the terms and conditions and click “Submit and Continue”
- Enter your NIA number (Personal ID number on your Ghana Card)
- Click Submit
Congratulations!!! You will receive a notification after the merger
Check your SSNIT merger status using phone
Using the Shortcode
- Dial *711*9# on your mobile phone
- Select Option 2 (Check merger status)
- Enter your SSNIT number or NIA number (Personal ID number on your Ghana card)
- Press Send
You will receive a notification
Browse and Log In Here to find link to any Government of Ghana Official website.
Check merger status using PC
Using the Web
- Visit the SSNIT website: www.ssnit.org.gh
- Click My Statement
- On the right side of the web page, under “Have you linked your Ghan card?
- Check status here
- Enter your SSNIT number to check your merger status
- A pop-up message will appear on your screen
- Check your email for your merger status
SSNIT and NIA Card Merger – Virtual Presentations
- SSNIT pension benefits for contributors
- How to know if your SSNIT Ghana contributions have been paid
- SSNIT Portal Online Registration – Log In
- How to access and check your SSNIT contribution statement
- How to Register and be a SSNIT Contributor