NMC Portal is an online platform: https://www.nmc.gov.gh/web/ for all nurses and midwifery to undertake online service such as licensing and registration, N&MC indexing, CPD PIN/AIN Renewal, apply for certificate collection, and verification process.
Table of Contents
NMC Portal Links
Who Qualified to use the NMC Portal?
The Registration Directorate registers Nurse Assistants, Nurses, and Midwives who have completed their nursing and midwifery education in accredited institutions and were successful in the Licensing examination.
- Registration with N&MC assures the public, employers, and colleagues that a nurse or midwife:
- Have the qualifications needed to practice
- Has not had his or her name removed from the Register for misconduct
- Is working in a regulated profession
- Who are Registered Nurses and Midwives?
Registered Nurses and Midwives practice independently and in collaboration with other health professionals, perform general nursing and midwifery functions, and supervise Nurse Assistants and others.
- Registered nurses and midwives use knowledge and judgment to:
- Assess health needs
- Provide care
- Advice and support people to manage their health.
- Nurse Assistants are healthcare providers who have undergone two-year training in Health Assistant Clinical or Community Health Nursing programs. They provide healthcare to patients or clients under the supervision of a Registered Nurse or Midwife.
Procedure and Requirements for Registration
Upon passing the Council’s licensing examination, a Nurse Assistant, Nurse, or Midwife is required to go through the following procedure to be registered to practice legally in the country:
1. Go to the Council’s Regional Office (the Region in which your institution of training is located).
2. Present your Results Slip (Letter from the Council indicating that you have passed the licensing examination).
NB: You will be required to complete a Registration Form and pay a non-refundable Registration Fee.
You will be issued with:
- A Log Book for rotation
- Provisional License and Code for National Service registration.
3. After completing the Rotation/National Service, you would be required to return the Log Book and Provisional License to the Regional Office where you registered and await your PIN and Certificate of Registration.
4. The Council issues Professional Identification Numbers (PIN) to Nurses and Midwives upon completion of the registration process. Nurse Assistants are also issued with Auxiliary Identification Number (AIN) after registration.
Registration of Foreign-Trained Nurses and Midwives (Permanent):
Foreign-trained Nurse Assistants, Nurses, and Midwives who wish to practice in the country would be required to pass a Licensing Examination and satisfy other requirements before they are registered.
NMC Portal Registration Requirements
- Transcript of training
- Three (3) passport-sized photographs
- A copy of the Birth Certificate
- Photocopies of Professional Certificates (original copy to be presented for inspection)
- Marriage certificate where applicable
- Two (2) testimonials from previous/current employers where you have practiced for at least one year
- Copy of last appointment letter
- Verification of registration from the original Council/Board.
- Copy of certificate of proficiency in English from an approved school of languages.
Upon fulfilling all eligibility requirements, applicants are required to sit for a written examination. The fee for the examination is …..? The amount is subject to review from time to time. The examination is organized twice a year that is, June and December.
After the written examination successful candidates will:
- Complete Registration Forms and pay a fee of $ 125 or its Ghana cedi equivalent to the Council.
- Undergo a three-month practical orientation program in a Teaching, Regional, or any hospital accredited by the Council.
- Be registered to practice based on satisfactory performance during the practical orientation program.
- A provisional license for newly qualified foreign-trained Nurses and Midwives would attract a fee of $ 125 or its Ghana cedi equivalent.
NB: Documents that are in Languages other than English should be translated into English with a copy of the document in the original language attached to it.
A PIN or AIN once issued, expires in twelve (12) calendar months. Any Nurse Assistant, Nurse, or Midwife whose PIN or AIN expires is required to apply through the Council’s Regional Offices.
The PIN or AIN will be renewed upon submission of the following prescribed requirements:
- The applicant must have accumulated the required Continuous Professional Development (CPD) points with;
- Two (2) Current Passport Pictures in Prescribed Uniform over a Red background for Nurse Assistants (Auxiliaries)
- Two (2) Current Passport-size Pictures in Prescribed Uniform over a White background for Nurse.
The required minimum CPD points for PIN/AIN renewal are as follows:
- Category Required CPD Points
- Nurse Assistants: Ten (10) Points
- CHN, EN, NAC & NAP
- Staff Nurses/Staff Midwives up to Fifteen (15) Points
- Nursing / Midwifery Officers
- Senior Nursing/Midwifery Officer/ Twenty (20) Points
- Health Tutor/Assistant Lecturers and above
Relevance of PIN or AIN
- The PIN confirms one professional status
- No employer will employ any Nurse Assistant, Nurse, or Midwife without a PIN or AIN
- It could be used for employment in the private sector even while on retirement.
- It is an offense to practice as a Nurse Assistant, Nurse, or Midwife without a valid PIN or AIN.
NB: This attracts a penalty and or imprisonment as enshrined under Section 73 (d) of the Health Professions Regulatory Bodies Act, 2013 (Act 857).
N&MC CPD Online Portal
N&MC CPD Online Portal by Nursing and Midwifery Council of Ghana in collaboration with the WCEA (partner of the International Council of Nurses) is providing all members with access to a Mobile App & Online CPD & training platform.
Register for CPD
- Login: https://engagement.wcea.education/nmcg?source_code=CW01
- Enter the following details
- First Name
- Last Name
- Mobile Phone
Kindly, enter your PIN and Registration number carefully, as they are used to update your study records.
- PIN – 01AN23456789
- REG NO: RN123
- Area of your Practice/Expertise
- Organization Name
- Tap on Continue
You will receive instructions on how to access both the online Learning Management System and the Mobile application. You will then take a short course that explains how to use the system, take courses and submit your certificates.
NMC Portal Online Payment
- Access the NMC Mobile App via Google Play Store
- Create an account
- Upload your CPD document
- Tap on Payment
- Select PIN/AIN Renewal from the list of services
- Select your Mobile Money Service provider
- Confirm payment
CPD PIN/AIN Online License Renewal
The National Council of the Ghana Registered Nurses and Midwives Association (GRNMA) at its meeting held on 16th September 2021 deliberated on the challenges members of the Association face in renewing their Professional Identification Numbers (PIN) and Auxiliary Identification Numbers (AIN) annually and the fact that available data has shown that in instances where the clinical practice has resulted in legal tussles, the nurses and midwives concerned have had expired licenses, the National Council resolved as follows:
- The GRNMA will renew the licenses of its members on annual basis with effect from the year 2022.
- All members are encouraged to download the Nursing and Midwifery Council’s (NMC) Mobile App for uploading Continuous Professional Development (CPD) points and make it a point to upload all their required CPD points achieved within a year.
It is the hope of the President, Mrs. Perpetual Ofori-Ampofo, and the entire National Council that members of GRNMA will cooperate with leadership in this regard and make this HUGE INVESTMENT in GRNMA members worthwhile.