The National Communications Authority (NCA) has taken note of some public concerns regarding the SIM Registration Exercise, with specific regards to long queues and congestion at the customer care centres of Mobile Network Operators (MNOS).
The National Communications Authority, (NCA), was established by an Act of Parliament, Act 524 in December 1996, which has been repealed and replaced by the National Communications Authority Act, 2008, Act 769.
Registration of SIM Card Exercise
The NCA understands the frustration and inconvenience of customers in their bid to complete the second stage of the SIM Card registration process. As a result, the NCA has been working assiduously with MNOS and the SIM Card registration application developer to improve the registration process and mitigate the current challenges at the centres. The measures being taken include the following:
4 Measures outlined to reduce congestions
- The deployment of additional registration points is commensurate with the subscriber numbers of each MNO to ease the congestion. In this regard, outlets such as distributor shops, retail centres, and other agent touchpoints across the country are being used for the SIM registration exercise. Customers are urged to patronize these other outlets as they become available to complete the second stage of the registration process.
- The deployment of various ad-hoc registration points at various public areas including lorry parks, churches, mosques, etc to ease the congestion at the customer care centres. Announcements will be made in communities wherever such ad-hoc registration points are established.
- The creation of additional temporary locations at various Government or State Owned Enterprise facilities including:
- NCA Regional Offices.
- Community ICT Centres established by the Ghana Investment Fund for Electronic Communications (GIFEC)
- Post Offices, etc.
- The development and implementation of a daily quota and ticketing system for SIM registration bio capture at the customer care centres. MNOs will develop systems to schedule customers who have completed the first phase, to visit particular centres by a given date or window for the second phase of the registration.
Link Ghana Card with SIM Card
The general public is hereby encouraged to be patient as these measures are rapidly implemented. Further, customers are advised to complete stage one of the registration process here by linking the Ghana Card with the SIM Card and dialing this shortcode before visiting the MNO customer care centre or agent. This will further reduce the time spent at the customer care centres of the MNOS.
The Ministry of Communications and Digitalisation (MoCD) and the NCA are working collaboratively with the MNOS to ensure that the SIM registration process is enhanced to make it fast, secure, safe, and convenient for customers.
Contact National Communications Authority (NCA)
No. 6 Airport City, Accra
Tel: (0)30-2776621/2771701 or 050-145-1522/3
E-mail: [email protected]