NaCCA Educational Policies in Ghana
National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NaCCA) in partnerships with the Ministry Of Education, and Ghana Education Service has reforms the educational system in Ghana. The present Ghana education Service curriculum is being shifted from merely passing examinations to building character, nurturing values, and raising literate, confident and engaged citizens who can think critically.
1. Kindergarten, primary school, JHS and SHS are now labelled as a basic school. JHS 1, 2, 3 are now label as BS 7, 8, 9 respectively and SHS1 as BS 10.
2. All learners in JHS 1 – SHS 1 will run a Common Core Programme (CCP) comprises of 9 subjects; Mathematics, Languages, Science, RME (stand-alone subject), Physical and Health Education (not examinable), Career Technology, Social Studies, Computing and Creative Art And Design.
3. National Standard Assessment Test (NSAT) will be written by ALL learners in primary 2, 4, 6 and JHS 2.
4. Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) is replaced with Placement Exams conducted at JHS 3 to place learners in SHS 1.
5. Learners in SHS 1 will continue to run a Common Core Programme (CCP) for one year. NB: Learners placed in SHS 1 will not select Science, Business or Arts programmes.
6. At the end of SHS1, Learners will write a Common Core Examination before placing them in SHS 2.
7. At SHS 2, Learners will not select either a career-related programme which includes;
i. Vocational and Technical Programmes
ii. High Diploma ( Science, Arts & Business)
8. All Elective subjects start at SHS 2.
9. West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) is now replaced by University Entrance Exams conducted at SHS 3.
10. After successful completion of SHS 3 learners are to be rewarded with a Diploma Certificate instead of a WASSCE Certificate.
11. The education system is now based on research, community engagement projects with little content.
12. Computer Literacy is one major focus of the Common Core Programme.
13. Science at the basic level now comprises of physical and applied science which involves more demonstrative features include; Diversity of matter, Cycle system, Forces and Energy, Human and Environment.
- List of Approved Textbooks (KG-BASIC 6) -NaCCA
- Learners Resource Pack- NaCCA
- The New Common Core Programme (CCP)
- National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NaCCA)
- NaCCA and its New Educational Policies in Ghana
- The New Common Core Programme Manual-free Download
- List of Recommended Textbooks for the Common Core Programme (KG-BASIC 6) -NaCCA
- Teachers Resource Pack- National Council for Curriculum and Assessment
- NaCCA Weekly Lesson Plan- free download
You may also like to read some developing stories around the new Standards- Based Curriculum and NaCCA approved textbooks. These stories are generating a lot of uproar amongst Ghana Education Service and Scholars.
You May Like