Want to apply for a South African smart ID card or passport at the Department of Home Affairs, DHA? Here’s a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to login to the eHomeAffairs portal via ehome.dha.gov.za to complete the online application form and book an appointment at DHA.
Table of Contents
About Home Affairs Smart ID Card or Passport Application
The Department of Home Affairs is proud to present eHomeAffairs to enable you as a South African citizen by birth to apply to utilize the online services.
eHomeAffairs allows the following:
- Submit ID and Passport applications online,
- Make online payments for applications,
- Make bookings where allowed.
A branch visit is mandatory to capture and verify your biometric details, i.e. photo, fingerprints, and signature. You can also finalize your application at any Home Affairs office; no appointment is required.
eHomeAffairs allows you to complete your application and save it, should you wish to submit it at a later stage.
Department of Home Affairs makes it easier for you to apply online for your Smart ID or passport (new or renewal). Once your documents are ready, learn how to get started. Submit ID and passport applications and payments on the eHomeAffairs website.
How to Apply for Home Affairs Smart ID Card or Passport Online
Registering on Home Affairs smart ID card and passport online application portal requires “creating a profile” with a secure password. Here’s how to get started.
- Register a profile on eHomeAffairs
- “Complete” your details
- “Create” a password
- “Answer” the security questions.
- Capture the verification OTP (One Time Pin) received via SMS to confirm your cellphone number
- Log in to your profile
- Capture the login OTP (One Time Pin) received via SMS
- Complete the application form
The application form is for a Smart ID Card and/or Passport. You can “capture” and “submit an application form” for yourself or a minor directly related to you, typically for a minor requiring a passport for traveling purposes.
- All fields highlighted in red are mandatory and must be “completed”
- Submit the completed application by selecting “Submit”
- Upload your supporting documents, if applicable
- Required supporting documents will be listed.
NB: Originals will be required to be presented at the branch or bank office.
- Make the online payment
- “Capture” your banking details.
NB: Submitting a payment on eHomeAffairs is only an instruction to your bank. To complete the payments process you need to log on to your Internet banking to “authorize the payment”. An authorization process guide can be requested from your bank. Once the payment has been authorized, a bank payment verification process must take place, which may take a few minutes.
- Make a booking at a Home Affairs-enabled Bank Office
Digital biometrics can be captured at any Home Affairs office or a Home Affairs-enabled Bank office, for which a booking is a prerequisite. You do not need to make a booking to provide your biometrics at any of the Home Affairs offices.
- Print your Confirmation Letter
The barcoded confirmation letter and your ID Book (if available) must be “taken with you when going to the branch or bank office”.
- Tap to Download Confirmation, save the document to your PC and open with PDF.
Schedule appointments at Home Affairs-enabled bank branches. Find the Department of Home Affairs, DHA Smart ID Card Offices, and contact details.
How to Book an Appointment Online at Home Affairs
There are three main steps to the booking system, the first of which is entering your South African ID number. After that, users are asked to enter their other personal details, including:
- Full name and surname;
- Cell phone number;
- Email address (optional)
Requirement for Home Affairs Smart ID Card or Passport Online Application
South African citizens who are 19 years and above can apply for ID without their mother accompanying them, but you would need a certified copy of her ID.
- Certified copy of your birth certificate.
- ID number on your birth certificate.
- Proof of your residential address, like a municipal bill.
- Fill in Form BI-9, which you can get at Home Affairs, in black ink.
- Two identical color photos
How to Login DHA Portal
Follow the steps to access and login to the Department of Home Affairs, DHA portal online.
- Explore http://www.dha.gov.za/
- Tap on Smart ID Card on the navigation tab
- Select Apply Online Now from the drop-down menu
- Tap on the Log on button
- Enter your login credentials
- A One Time Pin will be sent to your cellphone, please have your cellphone near you
- Type in the display character (Captcha)
- Tap on Log on