The Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE) is facilitating full-time bursaries for the academic year 2023. The bursary is targeting eligible South African scholars from disadvantaged social backgrounds currently doing or have completed grade 12.
Courses/Programmes Qualified for DMRE Bursary
The bursary recipients should be studying mining and energy-related fields preferably in the following disciplines:
- Bachelor of Science (Physics and Chemistry)
- Chemical Engineering (Mineral Processing)
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current) Electro-Mechanical Engineering
- Environmental Health and Management
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering (Extractive)
- Mining Engineering
- Mining Survey
- Nuclear Engineering
- Rock Engineering
Compulsory documents that must accompany this form
Registration Documents (Tick if submitted)
- Certified copy of Senior Certificate or latest Grade 12 results
- Certified copy of the latest academic transcript
- Printed proof of registration or Acceptance letter from the university
Identity Documents (Tick if submitted)
- Applicant’s certified copy of a valid South African Identity Document
- Certified ID copies of both parent/s or guardian/s
- Certified copy of the death certificate if one or both parent/s is/are deceased
- An affidavit if the whereabouts of one or both parents are unknown
Proof of Employment Documents (Tick if submitted)
- Salary advice (pay) slips off the parent/s or the guardian/s not older than 3 months
- An affidavit if the parent or guardian is unemployed
Proof of Residence Documents (Tick if submitted)
- Certified copy of proof of residence that is not older than 3 months (Municipal utility bill) or
- A stamped letter from a tribal authority, or an affidavit to this effect
Criteria and Eligibility for DMRE Bursary
- DMRE Bursaries are available to South African Citizens that are financially needy and deserving applicants from rural areas as they are faced with limited access to opportunities.
- These bursaries are aimed at enhancing the transformation of the mining & energy sectors.
- The bursary is only available to applicants who want to pursue their studies at a South African University or the University of Technology.
- First preference will be given to first-year students and bursary is NOT available to applicants who wish to pursue a post-graduate qualification.
- The bursary is for full-time studies only and bursary agreements will only be entered into with successful applicants for the 2023 academic year who will register for full-time studies. Will be required of successful applicants to confirm being unemployed at the time of signing the bursary agreement.
- The awarding of the bursary is the sole discretion of the DMRE, and communication will only be entered into with the pre-selected candidate(s).
- The Department reserves the right not to award a bursary to any pre-selected candidate(s)
DMRE Online Bursary Application Process
- Follow the criteria & instructions as outlined in the DMRE Application Form PDF
- 2023 Bursary application forms can be downloaded from dmre.gov.za
- Old and altered bursary application forms will lead to automatic disqualification
- High school applicants are encouraged to send final matric results and final acceptance letters within the first week of the release of matric results.
- First preference will be given to females and applicants with disabilities.
Submit DMRE bursary application form with attachments to:
- The Director: Ms. Nondumiso Zulu, The Department of Mineral Resources & Energy Trevenna Campus, 70 Meintjies Street, Sunnyside, OR
- Post before the closing date to Private Bag X59, Arcadia, 0007, or Email
- Ensure that the form is completed in full by using block letters and marking appropriate boxes with an X.
- 2023 Bursary application forms can be downloaded from www.dmre.gov.za
- Attach certified copies of documents as per the checklist
- Complete section E fully as motivation for a bursary and attach any supporting documentation.
- Applicants with less than level 6 (HG symbol B) in pure Mathematics and Science will not be considered.
Search for the latest bursary and scholarship opportunities online
Schedules for DMRE Bursary
The closing date for the applications is 30 November 2022. Should you NOT be contacted on or before 31 January 2023 consider your application to be unsuccessful.
DMRE Contact Details
Email: [email protected]
Call Ms. Morongwe Madisha at (012) 444 3860
Ms. Olga Sedibe (012) 444 3309